This is a news compilation setting the record straight on the day’s top stories about the oil and gas industry.
Teck will spur momentous growth in the region, why shouldn’t First Nations benefit?
- All Indigenous communities in that area have signed agreements with Teck for the Frontier project, signaling support for this resource project.
- Federal approval of Teck’s Frontier mine will signal that Indigenous voices matter, and that economic development will be part of reconciliation.
Ontario Teachers’ Pension Plan supports oil and gas development
- Despite calls to divest from fossil fuel investments, the OTPP believes that divestment is not the way to deal with climate change.
- The OTPP also holds a significant amount of assets in Alberta’s Heritage Royalty, headquartered in Calgary.
Ottawa might not approve Teck’s mine due to Alberta’s carbon tax fight, but Alberta is already playing ball fighting emissions.
- Ottawa has approved the Alberta government’s tax on big industrial emitters.
- Alberta has also established a cap on oil sands emissions to help spur innovation to reduce emissions like Imperial Oil’s bitumen recovery project.
- Indigenous people’s support these oil and gas projects, like those who signed agreements with Teck Resources.
- Alberta’s oil and gas industry also has some of the most stringent regulations and environmental standards.